Mac OS 8-9
Dial-up Setup Guide for Mac OS 8.x-9.x
Determining your exact OS version
First, you need to find out your exact version of the Mac OS. This can be obtained from the "About This Computer" command, which is the first command in the Apple menu. It will read “Mac OS” followed by a number. Follow the set of instructions below that match your version. For all versions, you will be starting the Internet Setup Assistant.
Starting the Internet Setup Assistant
- Open your hard disk icon.
- Locate and open the Assistants folder
- In there, you should see the Internet Setup Assistant. Open it.
If you didn't see Internet Setup Assistant here, then do the following instead:
1. In the Apple menu, choose “Find File” (for Mac OS 8.0/8.1) or “Sherlock” (for Mac OS 8.5 or 9.x).
2. Type “assistant” in the blank spot in the window that appears, and click “Find”
3. Double click “Internet Setup Assistant”, and follow the appropriate set of instructions below.
At this point you should now have the Internet Setup Assitant opened, and your window should look similar to this:
If you're using OS 8.0 or 8.1, continue below. If you are using OS 8.5 or OS 9.x you will see a similar set of questions, but with some minor differences, noted at the bottom of this page.
Mac OS 8.0/8.1
Here are the things you will be prompted for and the appropriate responses. Click the right arrow to go past the first screen. Click the right arrow to advance to the next screen after completing each screen.
- What would you like to do? = Add Internet Configuration
- What would you like to name this configuration? = Pacific Internet
- How will you be connecting to the Internet? = Modem
- Which modem are you using? = Whichever type your modem is
- Which port is the modem connected to? = Modem Port*
- Does your phone line use tone or pulse? = Tone
- What is the phone number for this configuration? = See Access Number Above**
- What name do you use with this service? = Your username (For example, “joeuser”. NOT “email@example.com”)
- What is your password? = Your password
- Is there an IP address for this configuration? = No
- What is the DNS address for this configuration = 184.108.40.206 then press Return and type 220.127.116.11
- What is the domain name for this configuration? = pacific.net
- What is the e-mail address for this configuration? = firstname.lastname@example.org (For example, “email@example.com”)
- What is the e-mail password for this configuration? = Your password
- What is the e-mail account for this configuration? = firstname.lastname@example.org (For example, “email@example.com”)
- What is the email host for this configuration? = mail.pacific.net
- Uncheck the Connect when finished box, and click Go Ahead.
Mac OS 8.5 or Mac OS 9
The information you are required to supply should be the same. The only differences are as follows.
The initial questions will ask you if you want to set up your computer to use the Internet, and whether you already have an account. The answer to both questions is Yes
The order of the information requested may be slightly different, but all the answers are above.
The last piece of information requested will be whether or not you use proxy servers. The answer is No.